Cloves are one of the spices indigenous to Asian countries like India, Indonesia, Pakistan and East Africa. It has been used for thousands of years in India and China, not only as a spice and condiment, but also as a medicine for many ailments. Cloves consist of variety of minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, and zinc. It in offers many health benefits, some of which are listed below:
- Better Digestion: Cloves improve digestion disorders by stimulating the secretion of digestive enzymes. Cloves are also good for reducing flatulence, gastric irritability, dyspepsia and nausea.
- Liver Protection: It’s ideal for protecting the organs from the effects of free radicals, especially the liver.
- Diabetes Control: Studies shown that extracts from cloves can help in controlling blood sugar levels.
- Antibacterial/antimicrobial Properties: It’s effective against specific bacteria that spread cholera.
- Bone Preservation: The extracts of cloves including eugenol, flavones, isoflavones andflavonoids have been particularly helpful in preserving bone density and the mineral contentof bone, as well as increasing tensile strength of bones in cases of osteoporosis.