Fennel seeds are the edible seeds of the fennel plant. They are often used as a culinary spice, and can also be eaten or chewed raw. They taste like licorice. Fennel is native to Southern Europe and it has grown extensively all over China, India, Europe and Middle-East. Here are some of the benefits of Fennel seed:
- Cancer Prevention. Fennel seeds have antioxidants which is able to help reducing cancer risk associated with free radical damage to cells and DNA.
- High in Antioxidants. Fennel seeds have flavonoids which found to be able to work effectively in combatants of free radical damage to cells in the body. Flavonoids can also help reduce oxidative stress to the cardiovascular system and protect from neurological disease.
- Anti-Inflammatory. Some studies suggest that the antioxidants in fennel seeds have anti-inflammatory properties. They may be an effective treatment for arthritis and Crohn’s disease, however more research is still needed to confirm these reports.
- High in Fiber. It helps balance the metabolism, aids in digestion and cleanses the colon.
- Digestive Aid. Chewing fennel seeds after meals is believed to be a great way to aid in digestion.
- High in Minerals. Fennel seeds concentrated source of minerals like copper, iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, selenium, zinc, and magnesium.